Thursday, September 07, 2006

Traveling somehow enables one to view life in a clearer light, uncluttered by the noise and confusion of a busy day. On a recent trip to my hometown, I made the discovery of what I truly desire to attain in my final years. It seems a long way off at the ripe age of thirty-three, but in order to achieve my quest, I must begin my pursuit today.

After observing some elderly friends and relatives, it was apparent the sense of frustration--frustration in a failing body, a forgetful mind, a lack of control of the myriad of changes before them, fear of losing a loved one, of losing independence--waging an inevitable war against the soul. Ironically, as the flesh deteriorates physically, it manifests itself further spiritually.

What am I talking about? As I quietly listened and tried to empathize, I firmly resolved: when I am old, I want to be so filled with joy that nothing else will come out. I no sooner uttered the words aloud to my mom than we both agreed in unison, it must start today. So thus began my quest--to have abundant joy overflowing.

The Lord is so good. It appears to be no coincidence the way He has begun to radically help me with my pursuit. In fact, I believe the answer is in Him. Okay, but now what? Joy is in the beautiful list of fruits of the Holy Spirit and through faith this is a free gift to those who accept Christ. All that said, let's be practical. Do you know any Christians--or anyone at all for that matter--that lives joy?

If I am truly crucified along with Christ, baptized in Him and in the Holy Spirit, if His accomplishment in defeating death, sin and the devil is truly "finished" as He says it is, if His kingdom exists today and He in fact is on the throne at the right hand of God, how could any of us who believe not be joyful?

2 comments:

Mahala said...

I think you have really revealed something that you need to continue to unravel here on this site. It will be helpful for me to see written out as your thoughts progress. I just wonder when I will be able to say it is finished and sin no more.

Mahala said...

Oh I meant to say . . . I love you.